Saturday 17 November 2012

Walmer Vinyard


I have been working for a few weeks now on cleaning up the vine on my east boundary.

The vine has been there for a long time. When we moved in 13 years ago it was already very established and giving small purple blackish fruit. The I count three vines, with a least one on the neigbours side of the fence.

I intend to make wine from these grapes come Feb or March next year.

The best gues so far is that the cultivar is a Catawaba. This cultivar comes from America. When I googl Catawaba, it does come up with a number of sites trying to popularise the wine.

Interestingly though, when I went to the Nursery a few weeks ago to buy 4 new vines, the only red cultivar that they had available was Catawaba. Perhaps the nursery man their knows a thing or two about suitability to the Port Elizbeth climate.

Which brings me to the Theescome wine estate that i visited last week. Sandra there is making wines from four cultivars - Pinotage, Cabernet Sauvingon and two whites. here vinyard is only two hectars in extent!

Climate therefor does not seem to be an impossible impediment in Port Elizabeth.

I can be worked around!