Monday 24 December 2012

Walmer Tilapia Hatchery


Photo: Major disaster this morning in the Tilapia Hatchery. Water levels went lower than the bubbler leaving fish starved for oxygen. Sadly these fish are now contributing their nutrients to the compost heap.

Major disaster this morning in the Tilapia Hatchery. Water levels in the outside 1 kl went lower than the bubbler leaving fish starved for oxygen. Sadly these fish are now contributing their nutrients to the compost heap. Perhaps I lost half the fish, there are still many quite healthy. I also lost two gold fish that had become quite big in the tank.

I have now changed the bubbler set up in such a way that it can never be exposed above the water level. But the system is being tweaked and adjusted with every mistake I make. I have made a lot of mistakes!