Saturday 27 April 2013

Goats


I enjoy going to the Fishers Corner livestock auctions. They are held on the last Saturday of every month. The auction site is about 30 Km out of Port Elizabeth at the intersection of Old Cape Road and the Rocklands road to Uitenhage.

Other people like going to the mall to browse and window shop, I prefer the farmers auction.

There are three sections to the auction. There is a "small goods" section where anything from fencing wire, to pumps to lampshades are auctioned off (all usually at very low prices)

Then there is the small stock auction, which includes, chickens, ducks, geese, pigs, dogs, parrots, you name it.

Then the larger live stock, including, cattle, sheep goats and sometimes horses.. Great outing.

I had my eye out for Goats this month. I would like to use them to do some bush clearing at Goedmoedsfontein.

Beautiful Boer Goats were selling at around R700 each at an average weight of 27 Kg.

If I can get to buy some by next month auction I will be a very happy man