Sunday 12 January 2014

Repairing the Dam Wall

Before even getting fences ready for cattle, I have been working to repair the break in the dam wall.

My thinking is that its a reasonably small job, but the effects will be quite significant at the dam level rises.

I am interested in attracting the birds and animals that need permanent standing water to sustain themselves. Not to mention the fish of course.

It will be interesting to see what fish species, if any are in the dam. I wonder if there are any Tilapia. It is said that in South Africa Tilapia (Mocambicus) are only indigenous as far down the coast as the Bushman's river. They have of course been introduced to rivers all along the coast as far as Cape Town, but it would be interesting to see if they are present here in our dam.
Perhaps I can play with the idea of cages in the dam to grow out Tilapia fingerlings that I raise in my tanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: