Sunday 25 May 2014

"Fullness of Health", for me, my family and for the Land.

I am quite sure I have more people popping in to the farm over the weekend "just driving past" that I have at my house in Walmer. I think its fantastic. I think its curious. Its definitely something about the rural setting that reminds us about being civilised, about being friendly, about being helpful, about being neighbourly. This interests me.

I spent this morning with the chainsaw again. This time working along the stream, from the dam wall toward the Oak tree. Most of what I was cutting though was Ink Berry. I cuts very easily. The Idea is to cut a path so that I can run the temporary electric fence through as I have done elsewhere. Slowly, slowly, I am beginning to make the land accessible. Beginning to make it manageable, beginning to put myself into a position where I am able to help the land achieve the "fullness of it health".

I have set myself the objective of achieving the "fullest possible health" for this land. What does that even mean? Perhaps my objective for the land is the same as my objective for me and for my family. The fullest possible personal health. The fullest possible family health. "Health" is the correct term to use when setting an "Holistic Goal" for the land (as Alan Savory would suggest we do). "Health" instead of efficiency, or productivity, instead of profitability. "Health" because the land is a living system. It's an organism, really, and if it healthy it is much more likely to be to us, efficient, profitable and productive.

I did some work on the dam yesterday. Introducing a "collar"
I have posted a video here:




The basic idea is to draw the water into the overflow from a little bit below the surface so as not to drain the dam of its most oxegenated, warmed water. (or its duckweed) This simple device will make the dam healthier!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: